Pesticide Licensing 411

— Written By
en Español

El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.

Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.

English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.

Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.

Collapse ▲

Do you need a pesticide license?

If you will be applying pesticides, having a pesticide license is a good idea. It will prepare you to make applications safely. A license is MANDATORY if you will be applying any “restricted use” pesticides. Product labels will indicate if it is “restricted use”. You can apply these pesticides without a license, but you must be under the direct supervision of someone who does hold a pesticide license.

If so, what type of license do you need?

There are two main types of pesticide licenses, Private and Commercial/Public. A Private Applicator’s license is for applicators who will be applying pesticide on their own private property or for their personal farm. If an applicator is applying pesticides for compensation, that applicator would need a commercial or public license, depending on whether they are employed by a private company or a government agency.

Additional categories can be added to a license, such as A for aquatic applications, if an applicator will be applying pesticides to a waterway as a form of aquatic weed management.

Learn more about the categories for licensing on the North Carolina Department of Agriculture’s website.

Have you determined that you need to obtain a pesticide license?

Get your study manual or sign up for NC Pesticide School to prepare.

You can take the exam you need to take either online or in-person.

Take the Exam at the Moore County Agricultural Center

September 14, 2023 at 1:00 p.m. (You must arrive 30 minutes early.)

707 Pinehurst Avenue Carthage, NC

You must pre-register to take the exam!